Just Me

Nothing fancy. Nothing Inspiring. Nothing really...

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

Of a combined sort this week...

Why I loved Holland so much:

1. Such good people that we were able to visit and become better friends with.



2.One word: Gouda

3.Everytime I'm there I love bicycles a little bit more and hate Winnipeg's cycling systems a little bit more...


Why the trip home was good:

4. We got the most incredible view of Greenland on our flight home!


5.We decided to drive home through the US just when all the leaves were at their most beautiful.


6. Two days of driving-One cozy hotel bed-Three happy canadians.

Things I love about being back in my own home:

7. My own bed AND my own shower -- I CAN USE AS MUCH SHAMPOO/FACEWASH /LOTION AS I WANT!!!! I still can't believe I didn't run out!

8. Making meals. Happy sigh. Even after four days of being home, it's just still so nice to think of something I want to eat and to go make it.

9. No gross dog hair to deal with. At a few of the last places we stayed, there were really sweet dogs. And I do actually like dogs now*, but I don't like their floaty dog hair sticking all over my clothes. Or floating into my glass of water. Or coating the bottom of my socks. Or their stinky dog breathy tongues licking all over my hands. I know dog owners don't notice it anymore, or just learn to live with it ... but it has confirmed one thing for me - I'll never be a dog owner.

Good things about this week:

10. Realizing once I got back to work that I had an extra paycheque I'd forgotten about, making me and our less-than-empty bank account, sigh with relief.

11. Reuniting with everyone I love, Sunday morning at church. It was just the place to make it a sweet, familiar welcome home.

Things I'm looking forward to soon:

12. Giving everyone the presents we picked out so carefully for each person. I love giving presents!!!

13. It's thanksgiving. They don't have anything even remotely similar in Europe, which seems really obvious, but I kept forgetting that fact. Then remembering it and feeling sad for them, because I love it so much. I mean, come on! At least celebrate the harvest or something! The things I'm looking forward too are endless. Crisp fall mornings, pie making, woodstove warming, hot dog roasts, book reading, sleeping, hugging, sharing stories, doing dishes, hauling water, creating centrepieces, walks on the beach, raking leaves, laughing, eating...

*After about 15 years of recovery from snarling-dog-chasing-me-around-the-block-as-a-7-year-old syndrome.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 a.m., Blogger beckster said...

This list made me happy.

 
At 12:41 p.m., Blogger ccap said...

Oh man. I read this as I was eating my sandwich at lunch. Which was all fine & good until I got to the doghair part. shudder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home