Just Me

Nothing fancy. Nothing Inspiring. Nothing really...

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Beware Thieves!

Yesterday at two different stores our credit card was 'unauthorized'. Today I called to check it out and found out that someone has been using our credit card to make purchases in Quebec. First to McDonalds for $20, then somewhere else for $500!

On the phone after a billion security questions and checks and such, we (me and the visa guy) got it cleared up, the 'bad card' cancelled and a new one on the way. He asked at the end of the convo, if there was anything else they can do for me? And I really wanted to say, "Yeah, can you tell us what we can do to stop having our credit cards hi-jacked?" But I didn't. Partly because he had an accent and well.... let's just say I'm bad with accents and he'd already had to repeat himself like 50 times during our conversation.

But really, this is the third time in 3 years that our bank cards have been stolen. Are we doing something wrong? Is there a way we can be more secure? Do we need to switch banking institutions? We've got the new PIN cards and you better believe that after the last time, both Don and I now protect our PINs like crazy ninjas. So what can we do? At least our money has always been returned by the banks.

If you work(ed) for a credit card company, please share your security secrets with the rest of us.

Let me guess, probably the first step is not posting online that we're apparently credit card suckers?

3 Comments:

At 3:38 p.m., Blogger Terry's Girl said...

we only had an issue nce so far *knock on wood* and it was because we used our debit at a pay-at-the-pump which was out of eye site of the people at the desk so it was an easy target...we wonder too what we can do to be safer using debit, after all, they tell us on tv its almost impossible to spot the differnce in machines if there is a scanner in place. We try to carry cash (yeah right) as well as ask when the machine was last checked, don't use the mobile ATM's as welltry to only pay with debit at places where the swiper is locked down or the cahier has to scan it for you, those cannot be tampered with as easily, if your not sure use credit card so you are insured.
What a mess hey?
good luck and thanks for the heads up.

 
At 9:35 a.m., Blogger Court said...

I thought that we were having the same problem. Every month I was paying it off completely and we stopped using that card, and yet every month I was making payments. So I took a closer look, and we actually had a credit, and every month I was just putting more money on the card. I was so relieved, although it sucks because we really could use that money elsewhere right now, but hey! At least I know our account is still safe! Now to write an email of complaint for their crappy online notification service. It was not clear at all that we had a credit and don't owe them anything. Smart hey? I wish they would have to pay me the 18% interest!

 
At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Damero said...

To be honest, I was probably protecting mine a little more Tai Chi style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home