Just Me

Nothing fancy. Nothing Inspiring. Nothing really...

Monday, April 11, 2011

No Impact Man

Whoa. We just watched this documentary called, "No Impact Man". I heard about them last year, but just finally got around to watching it last night.

The story of a high consumer NYC family who decides to live for a year in their fifth ave. apartment without any environmental impact on the earth. Done in different phases, they don't quite do everything for a full year, but it was, no pun intended, very impacting.

My favourite things that he said:
"The thing is, it's not what little things you do or don't do, not using bags, not creating garbage, it's that you're aware of where things come from and where they go, including both the food you eat and the garbage you create."

"The fact of the matter is that if only I change, it's not going to make a difference, but the hope is that if each of us as individuals change, it's going to inspire everybody to change. So I believe the most radical political act there is, is to be an optimist. The most radical political act there is, is to believe that if I change, other people will follow suit. "

It makes me happy to think that it's not about keeping one bag (or coffee cup, diaper, etc.) out of the garbage, but realizing I don't even need those bags to exist in a happy life. To be accountable for the things I use and garbage I create, to not just do it because it's convenient.

Just what can I do without?

A lot.

3 Comments:

At 4:44 p.m., Blogger Terry's Girl said...

yay!! more movie recommendations! :o)
LOVE IT!

 
At 8:44 a.m., Blogger Damero said...

It was very impacting. I am no longer going to drink coffee at a store unless I have my own cup... that's my phase 1

Also I just had an idea Pam, we should have Doc nights here at home once a week.

 
At 2:37 p.m., Anonymous MOM said...

I will come over for Doc nights once a week and bring snacks (healthy ones) I really have missed the Doc nights. Yah, for Docs!! I love them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home