Just Me

Nothing fancy. Nothing Inspiring. Nothing really...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Addicted.

It's true.
I have become addicted to classical music.
It happened sometime last fall.

I started turning the ol' radio dial in the mornings at work because for the most part I can't stand Gian Gomeshi, unless he has someone reallllllly interesting on. I equally don't love pop radio - have you heard some of the songs they play now? So what was left? Country - no thanks.* That talk radio where they yell their opinions at you most of the time and have people call in the rest of the time - no thanks. Winnipeg's only hip hop station - uh, have you met me?

Then, somehow, my dial slipped into heaven. The sweet high singing of violins filled the room, first just mellow and beautiful, then onto notes that were so sorrowful, so clear and pure they honestly made me want to cry. I can't remember what that song was, some piece by the Tokyo string quartet or something. It was so calming. I wasn't distracted by badly written lyrics, or self promoting radio hosts, I was left in music that most of the time is hundreds of years old. That was first heard in another era. I love the romanticism of that.

Then I found it sneaking into other areas of my life, much to Don's dismay. I'd get in the car and be late and in a hurry and quite possibly angry, but once the sweet notes of Bach would sound or if I was so lucky to catch a Chopin Sonata, I'd almost instantly be calmed down. Instead of getting frustrated by other drivers I enjoy a leisurely drive, probably becoming one of the drivers I used to hate...

I drive more relaxed, I work more relaxed, I cook more relaxed, I don't know what hold it has over me, but I can't deny it! I should probably invest some time in actually learning who I like, but for now, I'm quite happy with my classical education from high school (thank you Mr. Kristensen!), from my family - thank you Corrie and your purple Mozart tapes!- and my currently on-going education from CBC Radio 2, thanks to programs "Tempo" and "Shift" with their equally relaxed and informative hosts. Have a listen on-line where ever you are!

*That's not to say that there's not a time and place for good fun music, I love all kinds of music, I think I just get worn out of bad mixes on bad radio stations. I know, I know, there's such a thing as an ipod now, but most of the time at work I just want the good old fashioned radio, not ear buds shoved in my ears depleting my already bad hearing...

1 Comments:

At 6:55 p.m., Blogger Linda said...

Lovely post about beautiful music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home