Just Me

Nothing fancy. Nothing Inspiring. Nothing really...

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Cashier After My Own Heart.

Sunday afternoon we stopped at Safeway to pick up a couple last minute things for lunch. After getting more than I intended (as always!), I realized I forgot to bring a bag.
If you know me at all, you know I am obsessed with not using plastic bags. They are just useless and a perfect example-to me-of our wasteful, environmentally-lazy society.
So while we stand in line, I'm lamenting over the fact that now we have to have like 20 more bags than we need, because the cashiers always, always underpack the bags, even when you ask them nicely to pack them "full". Plus, I see this 19 or 20 year old cashier who will not stop talking to the lady in front of us who she is currently cashing out. By the time it gets to us, I'm already a little put out. She sweetly says, "Hello" and starts scanning our items through, I rush to say, "Oh you can pack the bags as full as they go."
Now, most of the time, cashiers respond with: Yeah. Okay. Sure. Whatever. Then proceed to put one carton of eggs in one bag. But not my girl. She pauses, looks at us, and puts her hand up to her heart and says, "Oh!, ohhhhhhh." Then reaches behind her all excited and pulls out a whole handful of their current instant-win gamecards and hands them to us. She was just SO excited. Even speechless. I do believe she was more excited than I was! I kinda smiled at Don with a kind of can-this-really-be-happening-can-there-really-be-someone-more-excited-than-me-about-not-using-plastic-bags? kinda smile.
(He was just like, "Ahhh. So there are more crazy people, than just my crazy wife.")
She packed a beee-u-tee-ful bag. When I said, "oh, you can even put it all into one bag...." She said," Well I don't think I can fit it all in the one, but... you can just carry this, and then if I put this here, and omph, you can carry this too...there! It will all fit!!!"
So thank you to my kindred spirit cashier, you made my day!
For more information on why plastic bags are evil, check this out and use your cloth bag today! Evil plastic: http://www.reusablebags.com/
(And no, I won nothing out of the handful of gamecards.)

2 Comments:

At 2:51 p.m., Blogger Heather Plett said...

The other day I was in Scott's with my cloth bag in hand, but before I could tell her to put it in my bag, she had some of my stuff in a plastic bag. I said "oh, you can just put it in here." She did, AND THEN SHE THREW THE OTHER BAG IN THE GARBAGE! I was more than a little annoyed.

 
At 11:44 p.m., Blogger pamero said...

oh, man. That woulda killed me. I would have had to go into, like, robot mode or something so as not to embarrass myself and/or don with ranting and raving in public.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home